-Rockface Concrete Artisans makes concrete kitchen countertops, backsplashes, bathroom vanity tops, concrete sinks, showers, fireplaces, tables, desks, chairs and more.
- Concrete countertops can be straight, curved, notched, multi-level, etc. Unlike granite and quartz, which would drastically increase in cost for curved shapes, creating curved concrete shapes simply involves some extra complexity and labor in forming.
- Concrete can also be used in vertical applications such as backsplashes, shower surrounds and fireplace surrounds.
- Integral and vessel sinks are possible. See the section on sinks for more information.
- Concrete can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Concrete floors are a different application. Rockface Concrete can recommend companies who specialize in various types of concrete floors.
Concrete countertops the most unique, personal countertop option because they are made from scratch for each client. To determine whether concrete is right for you, think about whether you believe that:
- you want something unique and personalized
- you want something that looks natural and has character
- you appreciate high-quality, hand-crafted items
- you think granite and quartz are too shiny, too formal, too common
- you think synthetic solid surface materials look and feel like plastic
- you need a color or visual texture that’s not available with other materials
If so, concrete countertops may be right for you.
Custom: Concrete’s biggest advantage is that it is completely custom. Your countertop will be unique to you and highly personalized.
Versatile: Concrete is extremely versatile. It can enhance any style, from French Country to Contemporary. From Arts and Crafts to Industrial. From Traditional to Modern. The possibilities are endless.
Practical: Rockface Concrete Artisans uses a sealer that is extremely stain-resistant and low-maintenance. Common food items will not stain it when wiped up quickly. The sealer does not degrade, and therefore does not need to be reapplied every year like many other sealers. The sealer also exhibits great heat resistance.
Imperfections: We believe that this is an advantage. Concrete countertops are handmade and hand finished. Since concrete is a heterogeneous mixture of many different ingredients, subtle variations in color, shade, texture and overall appearance should be expected. All concrete is susceptible to harmless hairline cracks. They will sometimes appear months or years after installation and are generally a result of seasonal movement of the cabinets and the house itself. These should be considered part of the aesthetic charm of concrete, and not a defect. Concrete exhibits natural beauty rather than plastic perfection.
Staining: Concrete countertops actually behave similar to granite in this regard. Granite countertops are also porous and have to be sealed and maintained. Most people don’t realize this, because granite is usually too dark and patterned to show stains. Food, acids and oil will not stain your countertop if wiped up immediately, and if left on for a longer period of time, they will cause only a light spot whose appearance can be minimized with a touch-up kit.
Scratching: While the sealer is very durable, it is possible to scratch it. For example, in kitchens, you should use cutting boards and not cut directly on your countertops.
Lead time: Because concrete countertops are completely hand made from scratch for each client, they take longer than sheet goods that are simply cut by a machine. See the section on lead time for more details.
Even though it is a completely custom material, concrete is competitive in price with standard countertop materials. The price is competitive with high end granite, ranging from $80 to over $100 per square foot. We are happy to work with you and your designer to give you an estimate on your project, and we can help you with options to fit your budget.
Yes. Rockface Concrete Artisans warrantees the structural integrity of the concrete for one year after installation. Concrete will of course last a lot longer than a year, but if any problems were to occur, they would occur in the first year. We subject the concrete to much larger stresses while handling it than clients ever could once it is installed. In addition, Rockface Concrete Artisans provides each client with an Owner’s Guide and a direct phone number for support from the company.